Thursday 22 August 2013

Searching for the Fownhope oil well...

I have been looking on the British Geological Survey site and using their wonderful Geology of Britain interactive map.

I zoomed in on the area of interest around Fownhope, trying to find some more info about where the Fownhope oil well was.

The first overlay I tried for Boreholes only revealed a black dot and what I knew already - there were a number of Boreholes in the area (red dots) and a couple were confidential records (black dots) - but I have come across a number of water boreholes where the owners have chosen to remain confidential so not odd.

So I tried a different overlay and came up with a black dot and a red square :)

Just below these words in the top left hand corner you will see a road labelled "Haugh Wood"
below that road, and above and to the right of Rudge End Farm, you will see a red square overlayed by a black dot.

Click on the map to make it larger!





Record 1 of 2
REFERENCE: SO53NE11
NAME: FOWNHOPE 1
LENGTH: -1.000000
PRECISION: ± 10 METRES
YEAR_KNOWN:
SITEREPORT:
HELD_AT: KW
EASTING: 359291
NORTHING: 235610
RECORD: Confidential/restricted access borehole -


Record 2 of 2

Onshore hydrocarbon wells

NUMBER: LM/28- 1
NAME: FOWNHOPE 1
DRILLDEPTH: 0
OPERATOR: SOVEREIGN

I was then able to look up in a very large Excel file the licence details, the  date the licence was granted and all sorts of other stuff.

I also found the UK Onshore Geophysical Library very helpful for finding wells and I spotted one other oil well in Herefordshire, at Collington, near Edwyn Ralph which was drilled in 1967

No comments:

Post a Comment